Sunday, December 03, 2006

So Cold......Way Too Cold

It's been like super cold in Indy in the past few weeks, but today..probably has marked its coldest--18 degrees right now while I am writing this.

I hate cold weather. I've never liked it...never use to it...always do and will hate it. Well, some people say if you are cold, just stay inside, bundle up and turning on your heater. See, it's not always as simple as that. Unlike back in Thailand, when it's hot out, okay, you go inside an air conditioned room. Problem solved. Here, when I'm cold, I run inside, turn the heat up, well, that still doesn't solve all the problems I have with winter. See, even though I stay inside and it is pretty warm, I still feel that cold breeze. It doesn't feel the same. It doesn't feel like an indoor summer. It's still pretty cold. Okay, now I turn up the heater pretty high, but dame, my feet is like freezing. I am still cold.

Now, look at how much the 'cold' does the demage (main stuff):
1) Winter leads to several problems. Obvious one is your heater bills. If you still use gas to generate heat, may God be with you. One of my friends own a one story house and ends up with $450/ month gas bill during winter. My apartment probably ends up with over $140/ month electric bill during winter months.
2) Winter leads to problems with driving. Cars won't start. You have to start your car at least 15 mins before you leave. Your car will slide. When you make a left turn, you may end up with right and vise versa. Some one behind you may hit you. You may hit a pole. You end up travel 30 mile per hour on a 60 mile/ hr speed limit highway. (okay..can't list enough of this shit.)
3) Too many layers one can handle. I'm talking about hat, scarves, gloves, socks, big shoes, pants, underpants, shirt, sweaters and coats. By the time you know it, it will take you an extra 15 minutes to walk out of the door and an extra 5 pounds on yourself.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Winter sucks, I agree. I try not to use my heat because I'm trying to save money. What I do now is use an electric blanket while laying on the couch watching tv or something. I won't be able to do this in January I'm sure but for now it's ok.

Get silk long underwear, it's really warm and not bulky.

But damn I could not handle an Indiana winter!

Pondering said...

Melissa:
Where do you live?

The Pensieve said...

I love winter!

Anonymous said...

Washington DC...
Today is our first REALLY cold day....but it's still a lot more mild than the mid-west...

Pondering said...

All I can say is "I HATE WINTER"

I remember how excited I was during my first year in the US and saw snow coming down. I went outside my dorm room and basically just ran around being silly.

Now...well..you can try to pull me out to do the same thing, that ain't happening, lol.