Thursday, October 12, 2006

Working with Thais in a foreign land

Since I first came to the US, this is the first time ever working with Thais and so far, it's been pretty negatively interesting. Below is what I can think of--for now:

1) There is no point to argue with the older--like I've mentioned in the previous blog, you will lose if you are younger. So save some headache, ignore it or walk away.
2) The restaurant I work part-time with right now is a family owned and operated. The owner is married to an American, and has brought her sisters over to help out in the restaurant. This is a hell when the sisters just don't get along. Everything they argue is so personal. Since the restaurant is not like a warehouse size, you end up hearing every single thing. It tough teaches me something: if I ever get to own a restaurant or any other kind businesses and decide to bring in family members--we have to agree to keep everything business related. If this can't be done, then I will move on to the next best thing. Incident from this evening: there were tons of screaming-at-each-other scenes. It's like they were putting up a freak show for everybody.
3) Some Thais just can't hold a professional manner at work--something you just can't change.
4) For some reasons, people tend to believe that I ended up picking some hours working in a Thai restaurant because I need money based on three silly reasons: ONE: they think I am an illegal immigrant who tries to make ends meet while trying to survive a hard life in the US. TWO: they think I gotta work in the restaurant because I have no education and this is the only thing I can do. THREE: they think I cannot speak English.
5) According to the number 4, I don't think I need to explain myself to anybody even though none of those are the reason why I work there. Also, why do Thais think that you must be deperate, poor, illegal and uneducated to work in a restaurant? Any idea? This is so stupid and so one dimensional.

PS: Oh..just so you guys know. I am officially now a poor and deperate Thai who tries to make ends meet, according to these people in the restaurant, and yes, I'm enjoying that perception. It is pretty funny. :D

2 comments:

Pondering said...

5# Yeah..it makes me mad some times, but most of the time, it finds it amusing. Stereotype is something that you cannot really change, but oh well....as I get older, it tends to be able to ignore it..in general.

OakMonster said...

That's why I move here. And that conviction was solidified after a) a few run-ins with "the elders" at local Thai Club, and b) a month stint at a Thai-owned business, decided that if I want to work for Thais, I should've just moved back.

I move here to be able to be myself. Going back into Thai circle just makes the point moot. Hence, I only socialize with you and some other forward thinking Thai gals. ;-)