Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Life after Hearing, Literally!

It's been a little over a month since my ear surgery, everything is better than ever. Looking back, I had no idea my hearing was so severe until a few days I walked out of the surgery. My sister had begged me to turn the TV volume down, my boyfriend had told me he had already spoken loud enough, people had told me they were almost yelling at me on the phone, still, I didn't realize how bad my hearing was. I was in denial until today. Everything sounds crisp and clear with only one good ear. I feel that I can hear everything. I still cannot imagine what I was missing in the past and how frustrated I was. I think the biggest problem with hearing loss is inner frustration due to lower self esteem and confidence.

What I have got from the surgery: 1) hot doctor 2) better well..much better hearing 3) a piece of titanium in my ear, which may go off while passing the security station at the airport (see picture on the left. Yah...that's it, but the real one is much smaller. Imagine that lands inside my ear.)

Some of you might find this funny, but really, if you haven't lost your hearing yet. Then don't. Now, I will wait for another year. I will do my left ear as well. I bet by the end of next year. My hearing will be all surrounded sound.

5 comments:

The Pensieve said...

Really? If you walk pass the security check at the airport, will the alarm go off? That could be hilarious!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I caught your blog off of a Thai blogs website...I had bad hearing loss too, and had surgery (in Bangkok) to correct one ear. It was the greatest thing ever, to be able to hear again! Still have the other ear to do, but one has been pretty good! What was your problem? I have autosclerosis...

Anyway, I enjoy your blog tibits!

Pondering said...

Yeah,,mine is pretty close to you. I have to do this surgery called "stapedectomy," which fixs my hearing loss due to maternal side. My hearing is better than ever. At first I was a little hesistate but after finding out there is no way to fix it except getting a surgery, so I kinda went for it. The outcome is like a miracle. Life is much easier. How's your ear now?

Anonymous said...

Yep, mine was stapedectomy too...not titanium though, mine was plastic (is this Thai vs. American version??). My hearing is great...i thought it was interesting what you said about how hearing loss makes you anti-social, etc...I was totally getting that way. The day I could leave the hospital and walk down Sukhumvit and hear everything so loud...oh my gosh...it was awesome!

Pondering said...

Yep, this surgery is like the best thing I have ever done in my life. It feels great!!!